The Record Room / The Rubber Room / Archives / 04-25-2008 / 1980 Suggestions

Topie: 1980 Suggestions Page: 1 2 3
March 30th, 2008 12:25 PM
Nick Thanks for the confirmation man, I can put this one to bed.
March 30th, 2008 02:31 PM
Jeff Mason NO -- those ARE in 1980. Horrendous Disc was done and first played on the air in 1980, and there were definitely boot copies of the album distributed at that time as well from that radio broadcast. No one knows why the final release was held up to March 1981, but it was all ready to go in 1980 and even earlier. Plus, I don't want two albums of DA in the same year, so there is that selfishness too.

Where the heck do you guys see the Roar of Love being in 1978? It was certainly done by then, having been recorded in 1976, but contractural holdup with the Lewis estate prevented release until 1980, and most certainly THAT one was not played on the air a la DA and 2nd Chapter did Mansion Builder for release instead.
March 30th, 2008 02:39 PM
IanWagner
Quote:
Jeff Mason wrote:
NO -- those ARE in 1980. Horrendous Disc was done and first played on the air in 1980, and there were definitely boot copies of the album distributed at that time as well from that radio broadcast. No one knows why the final release was held up to March 1981, but it was all ready to go in 1980 and even earlier. Plus, I don't want two albums of DA in the same year, so there is that selfishness too.

Where the heck do you guys see the Roar of Love being in 1978? It was certainly done by then, having been recorded in 1976, but contractural holdup with the Lewis estate prevented release until 1980, and most certainly THAT one was not played on the air a la DA and 2nd Chapter did Mansion Builder for release instead.


Yeah, but the DA WAS released in 81!
The 2nd Chapter I see as 78 in multiple places.
One of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roar_of_Love
March 30th, 2008 02:40 PM
IanWagner Ahh, I see Roar as 1980 in a couple places now too. I'll put it in the poll.
March 30th, 2008 02:41 PM
Beckner "The Roar of Love" LP label (on Sparrow Records) reads as such:

All words and music by Anne Herring
c) 1978 Latter Rain Music (ASCAP)
p) 1980 Sparrow Records, Inc.

Wiki states 1978. Hrm.

Oh and since I'm an ass and never listened to this record that Jeff so kindly mailed me, I'll put it on now and needledrop it this week if people are interested.
March 30th, 2008 02:42 PM
Jeff Mason I see where you guys GOT 1978 from, since Wikipedia claims that for Roar -- but that is dead wrong.

Here is a sample that says 1980:

http://musicmoz.org/Bands_and_Artists/2/2nd_Chapter_of_Acts/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narnia

And as a possible explanation as to why that date, my own copy of the vinyl lists that the songs were copyright (C) 1978, but the actual copyright (P) of the album was 1980. Both dates are wrong for when it was recorded, which was 1976. Getting approval from the CS Lewis estate was why it took so long to release. They released How the West Was One in 1977, and Mansion Builder in 1978 (and you wouldn't release two albums at once on a brand new label in CCM in those days, so I guarantee you 1978 wouldn't be the release date). Herring and Ward both had solos in 1979, so that would rule that year out as well.
March 30th, 2008 02:44 PM
Jeff Mason
Quote:
Beckner wrote:
Oh and since I'm an ass and never listened to this record that Jeff so kindly mailed me, I'll put it on now and needledrop it this week if people are interested.


Go ahead if you like -- one thing I was surprised to see is that Roar is back in print, so I won't be uploading it myself. You can buy it directly from the band's website. And oops, so is How the West Was One. So I screwed up by posting that one.
March 30th, 2008 02:46 PM
Beckner Holy crap! Can you imagine sitting on THIS record for like two years?

Wow, Jeff. I shoulda dropped a needle on this months ago.
March 30th, 2008 02:47 PM
Beckner BTW Jeff I still have those Bobbie Gentry LPs here-- think you'll be able to fly back with them? lol.
March 30th, 2008 02:47 PM
Jeff Mason HELLO, McFLY!

I TOLD you that was an amazing album, one of the best in CCM history.
March 30th, 2008 02:47 PM
IanWagner I'll put those DA's on two different polls so you can vote fer both, BTW.
HD is really 78, wild.
March 30th, 2008 02:50 PM
Beckner Alright, Jeff, now that I'm listening to 2nd Chapter, you gotta go download and listen to the Maiden live album: "Beast Over Hammersmith"!!

:)
March 30th, 2008 02:50 PM
Jeff Mason http://www.2ndchapterofacts.com/recordings/index.htm

Here is all that you can get by the band. I KNEW that the first two albums were still OOP. The label that holds those copyrights still does and didn't give them back to the band. I am not surprised by Roar being on their own label. But How the West Was One amazes me because Myrrh, the label for the first two, was the label as well for that (and HTWWO was used to satisfy the full contract to free the Acts for the Sparrow label).
March 30th, 2008 02:53 PM
Beckner

Shame they prolly can't use the original cover.

This record is best described as The Carpenters Sing "Tommy"!! Wild.
March 30th, 2008 02:53 PM
Jeff Mason
Quote:
IanWagner wrote:
I'll put those DA's on two different polls so you can vote fer both, BTW.
HD is really 78, wild.


The story, what little we know about it, is even more wild. And with CCM, they are very good about keeping controversy and scandal behind closed doors when appropriate, and this whole episode involves the most confusing and ugliest scandals of all. And it involves at least three famous acts, Larry Norman, DA and Randy Stonehill, who prior to that time was best friends with Larry Norman but who after 1980 would not be associated publicly with him until 2002 or so, saying only that "conscience would not allow fellowship" or vague things like that. I have heard some rumors but nothing I can substantiate. But in essence Norman sat on the album for nearly 3 years.
March 30th, 2008 02:55 PM
IanWagner The more I read about Larry Norman the stranger he seems.
March 30th, 2008 02:55 PM
Beckner
Quote:
And with CCM, they are very good about keeping controversy and scandal behind closed doors when appropriate,


So it's just like church!

*big ol' grin*
March 30th, 2008 02:56 PM
Jeff Mason
Quote:
Beckner wrote:
Alright, Jeff, now that I'm listening to 2nd Chapter, you gotta go download and listen to the Maiden live album: "Beast Over Hammersmith"!!

:)


Fair's fair. Which thread has the link?

(just have to find a way around the metal-fearing family)
March 30th, 2008 02:56 PM
IanWagner
Quote:
Jeff Mason wrote:


Fair's fair. Which thread has the link?

(just have to find a way around the metal-fearing family)


You will HATE Maiden, man.
March 30th, 2008 02:59 PM
Jeff Mason
Quote:
IanWagner wrote:
The more I read about Larry Norman the stranger he seems.


You think? He is definitely the most squirrelly character in Christian music and his eccentricities have kind of turned me off in a bad way to his music. Not to mention his own self-promotion of its importance, and the way he screwed up the CD reissue of HD by putting HIS OWN versions of the songs on as "bonus" tracks.

Quote:
Beckner wrote:


So it's just like church!

*big ol' grin*


In this case it's most certainly a good thing. It would only be gossip and slander and it is not for public consumption. And since a CCM band rarely is big enough for a tell-all bio, the bands can keep a level of normalcy/privacy that bigger bands can't have.
March 30th, 2008 02:59 PM
Jeff Mason
Quote:
IanWagner wrote:


You will HATE Maiden, man.


I am sure that is true, but open-mindedness and fairness say I should listen once.

Maybe we could play it in May?
March 30th, 2008 03:00 PM
Beckner Hard Rock- Metal Thread Page 3. It's not any heavier than Zeppelin or Purple, really. I don't think you'll get away with explaining "The Number of the Beast" song away as a Nathaniel Hawthorne "Young Goodman Brown" tribute though. Laugh at how "evil" they are-- the band certainly takes the piss most of the time. C'mon, how can anyone take a band too seriously when they bring out a nine foot zombie on stage, to chase and scare the band members?
March 30th, 2008 03:01 PM
Jeff Mason Yeah, definitely not a "play on the PC where the kid can hear" album then...
March 30th, 2008 03:01 PM
IanWagner
Quote:
Jeff Mason wrote: In this case it's most certainly a good thing. It would only be gossip and slander and it is not for public consumption. And since a CCM band rarely is big enough for a tell-all bio, the bands can keep a level of normalcy/privacy that bigger bands can't have.


Unfortunately, though, the difference between message and behaviour can sometimes be seen as hypocrisy.
I can see why Sam Phillips left that type of scene.
I think Daniel Amos took the right tack by remaining so independent of it.
March 30th, 2008 03:07 PM
Jeff Mason True that; however, there is a difference between hypocrisy that says that nothing is wrong versus the discreetness that says something bad has happened and we won't talk about it in public (which is most certainly the case with Solid Rock in 1980). No one denied that something had gone bad, they just weren't going to air dirty laundry in public. That's a good thing, as opposed to pretending that everyone is still friends.
March 30th, 2008 03:15 PM
Jeff Mason http://www.danielamos.com/articles/whatever.html

Amazingly, NOTHING about this incident is clearly discussed even on places like Wikipedia. CCM Magazine was the Rolling Stone of the CCM world, so that link will give you what the world saw in 1981 for consideration.
March 30th, 2008 03:18 PM
Jeff Mason http://www.danielamos.com/articles/rrhd1.html

This is the transcript from the 1980 radio show that played the HD album that I mentioned earlier.
March 30th, 2008 03:23 PM
IanWagner Great article, Jeff.
"When I saw Daniel Amos in concert at the time I was very upset by the kind of performance they were doing and I told them that unless they were less obscure in their Gospel presentation I wasn't prepared to take them to a secular label."
Oh, Larry.
March 30th, 2008 03:30 PM
Jeff Mason I own an encyclopedia of CCM music that is the Bible on the history of the genre. I have it also in PDF form, but I can't copy out the salient text on it (not much more than is said here but still an interesting source). PM me if anyone is interested in the PDF.
March 30th, 2008 03:42 PM
IanWagner http://heavenly-grooves.blogspot.com/

Have you caught on to that blog yet, Jeff? Great stuff.
Page: 1 2 3